SPOT Messenger Map

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Quomada, NM

At 7:50 AM is 18 F. That's cold!


The battery doesn't seem to have enough juice to start the bike, so we'll get some breakfast, and try again in 20 minutes.

From the motel the road west is as straight as an arrow for about 50 miles. There are lots of ups and down, but we don't drop much altitude. By 11 AM I'm still over 7,000 feet, and only marginally warmer than when I began the day.

Salt River Canyon is the start of some magnificent riding! I'm still on US 60, but here the road builders gave up on forcing nature, put the road wherever it could fit.

There are dozens of switchbacks
What you WANT to see on the GPS!
hugging the sides of the canyon. As we descen along the wonderfully paved and signed roads, you can look up and see the traffic on the same road, climbing to the other side of the canyon.



They knew they were onto a good thing here, so they've cut scenic lookouts every couple of miles.
The scenery I breathtaking. The sandy scrub land of scraggly bushes and winter yellow grass up on the plateau had given way to a forest of actual trees. The lush greenery hangs from the multi-coloured rock faces.

I check the GPS, and sure enough we're now at 5,000 feet and dropping...

Another good day.

I think I'll rest in the Phoenix area tonight, and ride into LA tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment