SPOT Messenger Map

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Atlanta, GA

Phase 2 of Goin' Toco

Well I finally made it to Atlanta on a Tuesday afternoon. I had to look up that it was a Tuesday -- I'm losing track of the days, which is a good sign, I say :)

Atlanta will be my base for the next week or two as I rest, retool and generally prepare for the next phase.
j. winston, Sho-Tyme, and Mr. James
I'm staying with Wayne, one of my oldest friends (since 1979!)  An amazing guy. He's grown himself from a high tech corporate salesman into Mr. James, bassist for the hot band Gritz & Jelly Butter.

These guys can really put on one heck of a show. There music is tight and on point. And as their 80% female following can attest, they provide plenty of sizzle to go along with the steak.

Looks like America alone can't contain them for long...

(more stories and video after the jump)






Almost immediately after leaving home last month, I realized I had forgotten a few items. In truth a LOT of items.  But as a fellow I met the other said, "If you wait to make sure we have everything, you'll never leave." True dat.

So, my handy dandy support crew back home (D2, DJ Supreme and my Mom) put together a care package to send via UPS.

NOTA BENE: UPS has a new policy regarding sending packages into the US. It must be address to someone who can show their status in the country. I had the package addressed to myself, at Wayne's address, but coming into the States, I did not receive any official documentation. I was cleared at the border, but they didn't stamp my passport. As per usual.

However, UPS is not hearing that. I burned up far too many long distance minutes calling their Detroit centre to explain that the documentation they insisted the government needed was not in fact issued to me by said government.

So they held my package.

For a week!

Then, mere minutes before I was going to call them, they called me. Funny how that works, eh? After a few days of arguing, photocopying, emailing and more arguing, my package was finally released.

After all that, the most critical items in the box were really only the charger for by Scala Rider headset, and my anti-malarial pills.


Heather and Okorie
La familia
What can I say? -- a class act this couple. Wayne and I were at their nuptials 10 years ago, and I'm pleased to see them growing strong together as this powerful family. We did a Sunday brunch at their lovely home, with generous helpings of Sweet Potato Pancakes, and hours, and hours of brilliant conversation.

These are some of the best people in the world.





I spent some time with the family, my Aunty Carol and cousin Wayne. It's good to have people who've known you your entire life, and still love you.
Blessings to them both.

Wayne's got a a couple hook ups for me in Central America. If anyone reading this has friends, family, connections or advice on the next leg of my journey (Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Columbia, Venezuela), please add your comments below, or send me a message : darren AT darren baptiste DOT com


At WOWMotorcycles
Bought new sprockets, front and rear from Motion Powersports Kawasaki dealership in Marietta, GA.
Got a new jacket, the First Gear Kilimanjaro, from the folks the WOW Motorcycles bike shop almost right across the street. I had the WOW folks install the parts for me, saving $5 per hour.

Both places were very good to me, with fair pricing. The guys at WOW even took my and promised to link me to their blog

On my final days in Atlanta, Wayne, my host had to leave town for a couple gigs in Alabama. I ask him for a spare key I can use, as I had to run a few errands that night before leaving the next day.

"No worries", say he, "you can jimmy the back door open with a credit card."

Already, it sounds like a bad plan ... but this, I have to see.

I go outside, while he stands in the kitchen (just in case I get it wrong).
I whip out a credit card and start in on the door. Just like I've seen James Bond do a thousand times.

Nope.
That's not it.
I keep trying.

Nothing. Nada.
I give up after 5 minutes (well, actually I gave up when Wayne got tired of watching me struggle and opened the door from inside)

He takes the card, and says .. just like .. this. 

Poof! The door opens.

He does it 4 more times, slower and slower each time, while I move my face closer and closer to examine his technique. 

He's good. I'm sure glad I don't live in his neighbourhood.

Any way, armed with this new knowledge, I try it again. 
Poof! The door opens the first time! Yay!!

Not trying to be too cocky, I need to try it once more.
Poof! It opens again.

I GOT THIS!!! 

Not needing any more practice, I put the credit card away safely. (You can see where this is going, right?)

So, Wayne leaves - it's all hugs, and pounds and tears (not mine!) as we say goodbye.
I go out to run my errands all over town.

When I arrive it's quite late at night, and, of course, very dark.

I park in the back as usual and approach the back door. Hmm... I forgot to leave the light on the rear porch, and it's pitch black near the door.

Luckily, I have an iPhone, and Erica Sadun's flashlight app! [links]

In a moment of panic, I realize I can't find my wallet - with the credit card! 
Silly me though, I do have it. I'm just not used to the 8,326 pockets on this new jacket! 

I pull the card out, slide it into position, and  .. Poof!
Nothing happens.

Wait. Hmmmm... Try again.

Slide it up ... wiggle .. sharply down .. and poof! 
Nothing!

Oh dear .. not good.
One more time. I have to reposition my light source.

Pfft... those %#$##@ flashlight apps are lame!

Deep breath. Remember.
Slide it up ... wiggle .. sharply down .. and poof! Nothing.

This gets old quickly. 
I'm trying every combination of up, down, wiggle and poof I can think of!
Nothing.

All of my gear is still inside :(
Except this frickken jacket that's as warm as a damn mummy! I sweating so much I have to take it off.

Try some more.

More sweat, less luck.

Then the vest.

Then my riding pants.

Then it happens...

My hand cramps up and I drop the credit card. I'm grateful it doesn't fall through the decking...

So, it's time to sit and re-evaluate this.

Luckily, I had purchased some Gatorade for the next day, so I had something to sit and sip while waiting for my useless claw of a cramped right hand to uncurl.

After 10 minutes, my heart rate is back down to normal, and I've sung Redemption Song 3 times (it always soothes me..)

I try it again. This time clearly visualizing the steps Wayne taught me this afternoon.

Slide it up ... wiggle .. OHH!! To the left! That's what I had forgotten. To the left. :)

THEN ... sharply down .. and poof! 

Nothing.

Sad to say, friends, I think I uttered several naughty words.

What's to be done? I just kept trying at that lock, barely keeping at bay the tears and thoughts of "My trip can't end like this!"

Then after being out there for 25 minutes, I send Wayne a text explaining my predicament.
No answer.

Don't try this at home, kids..
I sit back down and finish the Gatorade, and contemplate. The credit card is all torn by now, and I'm at wits end.

I look around and think, maybe I pulled in the door too tightly when leaving. Perhaps there's another one I could jimmy open ..




Pretty much right beside the kitchen door are the French doors to the living room. Score!
My heart sinks as I notice they have a completely different lock system.

Well, I walk over and think, "I should at least try."

Slide it up ... wiggle .. the door opens ..

It wasn't locked. At all.
In fact it was hardly even closed.

I know a lot of folks are praying for me on this trip, maybe one y'all was heard :)

------


After 10 days in the ATL, I got lots done. 
- fixed the weird keyboard issues on my computer (swollen battery)
- tested my heated gear some more (I'm now 100% certain it IS wonky - more tests needed)
- found an RBC (yaaaayyyyy! no fee withdrawls! First time in a month! My accountant will be happy.)
- logged lots of hours of work (more joy for the accountant)
- found a safe route into Mexico (my Mother will be happy!)


But it's time to press on. The road is calling...

1 comment:

  1. ROLMAO Hi-larious Man! Only got the text saying you were inside and hate that you were stuck for 1/2 an hour. Damn. (ahem...I've since changed that back lock, booby trapped the door with a shotgu, and bought a 160lb killer Rottweiler for those considering trying their luck! :) )

    Your progress and documentation has been amazing Sir...as per usual. I know Neave is doing back flips over the Cowboy stadium adventure (even if they are gettin' KILLED this year. Steelers Rule!).

    Get that heating thing sorted out and ride safe brother. Love ya lots, Wayne

    ReplyDelete