SPOT Messenger Map

Sunday, November 21, 2010

LA at night

I've been in Los Angeles 4-1/2 days now, but it feels like 3 weeks. I've spent a most of the time working, so it's not all lost.
View from Skira's street
On Thursday I stopped a woman as she was leaving the IHOP parking lot. She had long, freshly tightened braids, so I figured she could hook me up. Well, it turns out she wasn't local, but she placed a call to her friend John, who is.
John gave us a number for Angel somewhere across town. I called Angel and arranged for a session the next day at her shop, Divine Roots over in Inglewood.

For the three hours I was there we had some wonderful, wide-ranging conversations, starting with J.A. Rogers all the way to Michael Moore.
She did a good job on my hair, but Avalon's still my main girl!

On Saturday I said officially goodbye to anymore camping for the rest of this trip. I loaded 18 lbs of gear into one big box at the Post Office, and had it mailed to Toronto for $54.

I finally met Skira's beau, Leon. He's a wonderfully brilliant, socially-minded and politically committed man. From the moment we shook hands, we've been engaged in non-stop dicussion on just about everything.

I've learned quite a bit about the politics of the Latino and other non-white populations of East L.A.
Tonight they took me to see their corner of Los Angeles.
We took in some great reggae by the Constant Blues band on a cold outdoor stage in Leimert Park







with Raul, Skira and Leon
Visited the Lucy Florence Coffee House to view a jewellery show, and see some art. That space is an amazing multi-use facility with a full theatre in the back. There are many small rooms within the building, each display the arts and crafts of a different local artisan. I'm not aware of a space like this back in Toronto, though the Berkley Church comes close.

Saw a beauty salon on Leimert Blvd with an absolutely wonderful name --- "Who Does Your Braids?" Come on, how perfect is that?!

Skira, Leon and I then went to check out the closing of an art show in a skateboard chop.
Raul Rodriguez is the artist. We chatted and clicked, and he gave me an address to look out for a mural he painted this summer down in El Salvador. If I can find it, I'll post a picture up here.

We ate at a proper Mexican taqureĆ­a. Can you believe Taco Bell has had me completely fooled all these years!)

The we cruised around the city (making sure to avoid getting busted), while chatting about menudo (the soup-ish like food dish), Menudo the pop group, and, of course, the relevance of Ricky Martin -- Menudo's most famous former member.

1 comment:

  1. lol.... you had fun and were engaged... sounds like good people

    ReplyDelete