SPOT Messenger Map

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Escondido, CA

Bubbletron, a fellow KLR rider

Finally leaving L.A. had me feeling quite blue. The energy, the vibe, the feeling of family ... all this was very present for me in the last few days.

Once I stop riding for more than 2 days in a row, just getting back on the bike feels alien, and takes quite a bit of mental effort.

"Why am I doing this, again?"

Thankfully, before even reaching the metro limits, I run into Bubbletron from KLR650.net (there she is on the left in her disguise as Alison).

Actually she ran up to me at the gas station just bubbling [n.b. see what I just did there? I crack me up :)] with excitement about seeing someone on the same bike as hers, geared up to go long. She's a fantastic lady, and recently completed a big ride of her own

I decide to break up the ride to Tecate by stopping in Escondido, CA. On the way though, the rear tire suddenly doesn't "feel" right. My words are failing me to describe what felt different, but I take a look and the pressure seems ok, but the tire itself is looking really aged.

The Mefo Explorer 99 I had back there is starting to showing deep cracks along some of the knobs. The tire is biased 50/50 for dirt/street. Too much highway has seriously shortened its life. It has probably another 2,000 kms of life yet, but I'll be in the middle of Mexico by then... So I'm replacing it now.

As I ride through downtown Escondido, I spy a parked BMW F800 GS, and I realize this rider MUST know where to find great dual sport tires.

After hunting in the stores near the parked bike, I spot Jim stuited for tarmac battle. After giving me directions to a few possible sources, he then offers me his spare bedroom for the night! Now how cool is that?!

Jim and his trusty steed


Friendlies at Escondido Cycle Center
Then he takes me around to 3 different bike shops until we find a suitable tire at Escondido Cycle Center. Get this -- a brand new STOCK tire that comes with my bike. Wow!

Then, the man treats me to dinner at a local Irish pub. Guiness Stew never tasted so good :)

Life is good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment