SPOT Messenger Map

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Mazatlan -- Mainland Mexico at last

We landed just after 10 AM -- a full 16 hours after leaving port yesterday. Phew.


The ride was smooth. I only had to take one round of Gravol to keep my stomach in check.


The Germans waited to cross the following day
When I landed in Mazatlan, I said farewell to some Canadians I met on the way over. 

Canadians!




Riding through town looking for the route to the highway south took me right past this KDM Kawasaki dealership (on Juan Carrasco, downtown Mazatlan). I stop in to see if I can replace a couple of bolts that had shaken loose during the past few days. The owner, Gerardo, gets his workers to scrounge for the bolts for me, and gives them to me for free.


I'm so happy with this, I ask them about doing a mod that's been on my wish list for quite some time -- drilling the side plastics to allow faster removal of the seat.


While I'm waiting, a fellow walks up and introduces himself to me as Daniel. He asks how long plan to stay in Mazatlan. "I was not going to stay. Just get these parts and head south.", I reply.


Daniel offers me his place to stay as long as I wish -- as much as week even.
Wow. Just like that!


So, I took him up on the offer and stayed at his place.


Buenas dias!
The next day, Daniel took me to his school, Francisco Gonzalez, today. What magic it is to be among children. He took me around to meet all the kids in the school.  Their ages ranged from 7 to 12.

In each class I was introduced formally, first to the teacher, then to the students.

We mostly do impromptu English and Geography lessons.





Then we get onto the topic of music, and just like that, I'm dancing with a room full of 5th graders to some parang tunes.


Getting into the groove, I have them have a contest for the first to locate Trinidad & Tobago on a map. First prize is the Canada pin from my jacket. They were excited.
The winner!

My new girlfriend





Samantha Lisabeth! My dancing partner


















Then one girl decides she wants my signature. And of course the whole class follows. I think I signed the backs of 30 exercise books today.  It's too funny for words, really.

----

Sounds like a group prayer in the back room of Yadira's (Daniel's beau) beauty salon. But then it ends with clapping, so I am confused.

I think today will be a good day to top up the coolant in the bike. The weather is consistently hot now, and should continue so (except for the mountainous bits) for the rest of the trip.




My big concern now is watching my budget. It seems clear I'll have to do at least a few weeks of work while in Trinidad to early enough for the flight home. Depending on how things go, Rebecca may not make the trip home...

--

The Malecon in Mazatlan is apparently the longest on the Pacific coast (of Mexico, at least -- maybe in the world?)

The northern half is upscale touristy, with a McDonald's, and all sorts of posh resorts. The many nightclubs are alive with the moneyed young and beautiful people, both local and tourists.

The southern strip is much darker, but no less alive with young lovers in parked cars, or on benches sitting, staring at the sea, just wanting to be close...


Yadira and Daniel, my lovely hosts


1 comment: