SPOT Messenger Map

Monday, December 20, 2010

Central Mexico to Guatemala

It's a long road..
Oaxaca is one of the greatest cultural centers of Mexico. Some consider it the heart of the history of the country and it's founding peoples. Sadly I didn't capture much of that. It was a quick in and out for me.
Cathedral on the road to Oaxaca
The city is quite chilly, being as high up as Denver, Colorado in the US (aka the 'Mile High city')










Waiting room of a government office
Another view of that waiting room..

A local school trip
Protest art in the zocalo


Tuesday in the zocalo


Tapachucla, MX
Once again I found myself at an auto-motel, this time though, the sun had already set, so I had no options to find another place.

And lucky me! This turned out to be one of the best places I have stayed anywhere along the trip -- US and Canada included!

- Completely secure, finished and brightly-lit garage
- working AC
- hidden speakers playing light jazz music throughout the room
- glorious bathroom with HOT water and a bidet!
- a brand new comfy, removable hammock in the middle of the room


Sadly, more border madness crossing out of Mexico. I should have expected the place where they cancel the bike Import Permit to be 20 km from the border, on the side of the road for traffic ENTERING the country...

Well .. Mexico is over for me.


Guatemala
Crossing into Guatemala someone stole my camera. That's pretty bad news, as I really like that camera -- a Sony Cybershot DSC-WX1 (I think..) Hence no pics of the room last night... :(

Sadly, it also means the photo quality will be quite rough from here on in.

The real bummer though was that (the same dude, or another) someone stole the TT $1 I had taped to the inside of my windshield. The sad thing is that it's going to be completely worthless to them. There's nowhere within 2,000 miles to change TT money. Losing that symbol of my ultimate destination really bummed me out ...

Antigua centro
Good news though. At the border I spoke to some Guatemalans heading north to Oaxaca. They suggested I stay in the hotel across the street from their restaurant in downtown Antigua. I'm always up for taking recommendations

The Hotel Posada San Vicente on 6th Avenida Sur in Antigua is gorgeous. If you are ever in this town, do yourself a favour and book a room for a night or two!









And be SURE to dine at the Saberico restaurant across the street. Talk about rosmantic! Guaranteed to make you a star with that special someone in your world.

In my case, I was dining with Clay, an ex-Outlaw biker from Florida. Wonderful man.
Local dancers in the Chichicastenango Market

The next day we took the bus tour to the Chichicastenango market.

The rest of this week I will be in Spanish school 4 hours a day. Let's see what sticks in the ole' noggin :)

Nnenna from D.C.
And as a special bonus of bonuses -- the day after I had a chat with Nnenna in the market about the lack of brothers traveling abroad -- I run into part of a group of FIFTY brothers from Morehouse College on tour of Central America as part of the Semester at Sea program.
Morehouse in the house!

Oh be still my beating heart!! :)




4 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you've already uploaded a bunch of great shots, Dee. We can only hope the money for that stolen camera will buy a desperately needed good meal or three.

    It's got to be satisfying to bump into fellow 'agents' abroad. Brown skin for the soul.

    Keep going, Dee! --ct

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and stories, it's nice to wind down the day with an update on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the camera :( I know you've probably gotten over that already. Good thing you're you ;)
    Stay on track with the fun and adventure. :)

    'Morhouse in the house'... very cool!
    ^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can have some TT $ sent to you if you still want the visual motivation. :)

    ReplyDelete