SPOT Messenger Map

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Shot Ahoy

In my world, the surest way to make certain something bad happens is avoid preparing for it.

In my work as a software developer I see it all the time with our product testers. It seems that no matter how many test cases I put into a given piece of code, our testers will find some weird combination of button presses, strange data and magic spells that will cause the code to break in ways we developers never dreamed of.

So in trying to avoid being similarly surprised while on the road these next few months, I went to a local travel clinic  to get all my shots.

Actually, from reading country reports on the government web sites [link], the only serious health risk could potentially be Yellow Fever in southern Venezuela.

So, then why did I walk out of the clinic $500 poorer, with prescriptions for another $140?

My upper arms still ache as I type this 2 days later. I got shots for Hepatitis A/B, tetanus/whooping cough, and of course, Yellow Fever.

I guess there's no harm in being prepared :) Not that I want to get these diseases :)

No comments:

Post a Comment