SPOT Messenger Map

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Coming along nicely

The farkling of 'becca is about complete. Right now I'm waiting for a cigarette lighter socket (to charge the electronics, and run the air compressor to fix flat tires). The only other changes I am considering are:
- upgrading the brakes and brake lines
- switching to a smaller front fender
- raising the handlebars

It's good to know the bike is performing so well, has been completely reliable to date.

I did have to learn how to adjust the chain to take care of some surging at around 80 km/h, but now that I've done it once, I'm not so scared of the process. I will have to do something about the height of my centrestand though. It's plenty high enough when i have to get the bike up onto it -- but once there, I find I'm not getting enough clearance. The back wheel always touches the ground, unless I get someone to put lots of pressure on the front end. That's obviously not a good solution for a solo traveler.

The next big trip will be a camping gig, even though I'm not totally convinced that I'll actually be doing a lot of that on the Toco ride. From what I've been reading, I'll probably only want to camp in Canada and the US, as the price of accommodations in Central and South America are very affordable. Still, I do need to prepare.


No comments:

Post a Comment