SPOT Messenger Map

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 116 - Venezuela

As usual, the pundits were wrong. For some silly reason I heeded all the naysayers predictions of corruption and malice being ready to greet my entrance into Venezuela.

As it happens, this border crossing has been the easiest since leaving crossing into the US from Canada, some 112 days ago. (I'm deliberately not counting the ease of entry from the US into Baja, Mexico. I still consider that a trap by the Mexicans...)

Leaving Colombia was simple. The hardest chore was lining up in a room full of chairs for 20 minutes. We were expected to maintain the order of the line while seated. So as one person was processed, the next in line would walk to the counter, then everyone still seated would stand up, and shift over 1 seat to the left. It worked, after a fashion, though was very tiring in the heat of the office. Naturally, throughout the process there was always at least 1 person in line for whom this concept proved more difficult to solve than a Rubic's Cube.

That said, my paperwork was processed smoothly and as efficiently as any bureaucratic process I have encountered in Latin America.

Getting into Venezuela was just as simple. I was looking to find where to register my bike, and it was pointed out by one of the money changers hanging around.
Unlike all of the other borders, the only non-official people working at the border were the money changers. And they we not pushy at all. Actually, bettet than that -- they were helpful. No fixers needed. The money changer even accepted that bank conversion rate I had on my iPhone's XE Currency Converter app.

No haggling.

All told, it took 1hr and 40 minutes to completely clear both borders. I consider that a smashing success. And it cost me nothing.

Oh, yes, and about that myth that you need a Visa to cross by land into Venezuela? Consider it busted. (At least for Canadian passport holders)

The roads in Venezuela are horrible. Well, perhaps not ALL the roads. Just the first 96 kms worth when crossing at the northern border.

I was ever so glad I had obeyed my gut and stopped to buy a new front tire this morning on my way out of Riohacha. I felt a lot more secure on the crappy surfaces that kept shifting from red dirt to once-upon-a-time-this-was-pavement...




I opted to stay in the Millennium Hotel that's charging and outrageous $65 USD per night!
Sadly, I still didn't buy my mini-USB cable so my GPS has not been loaded with Venezuelan data yet, so I'm riding blind.

----
Within 45 seconds of removing my riding boots in the hotel room, some little bugger has bitten me several times on the shins and my Achilles tendon. Now the poison in my system has me all weirder out, constantly scratching at phantom bites all over my body. I am actually dreading the thought of sleeping in this room tonight.

----

Both the hotel staff, and the taxi driver (who took me to the mall to buy a cable) are excited to take pictures with the bike :)







L-R: Eddy, Kelmary, and Keiber

---

I have a date! I have 2 dates!

Next Wednesday Feb 2, I hope to catch the ferry to Trinidad. This could change.

On Sunday Feb 13 I shall return to Canada (this is definite).




Still Goin' Toco...

Location:Calle 3,Maracaibo,Venezuela

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your journey is almost complete...but the best it still yet to come. I'm proud that you're following your dream and seeing/meeting different people.

    ReplyDelete