SPOT Messenger Map

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tecate, MX

Well, I'm finally here in Mexico. So begins the next Phase of this adventure…

I left Jim's place early this morning, as he likes to leave his home at 6 AM, and I certainly did not want to infringe. His kindness in helping me last night will stay with me for quite some time.

I breakfast'd at McDonald's (I don't want to hear it folks -- they offer free wifi!), and answered a few questions from our client. I imagine my next reliable Internet connection may be quite some time away..

I then headed back to Escondido Cycle Center to have a new rear tire installed, and to get an oil change. Again, Amsoil was not available, but at least I got 100% synthetic 20W50

With an hour to kill while the bike was being serviced, and my debit card unusable in the shop's computer system, I walked the mile or so to the nearest mall. On my way back, I was practically melting in my ATGATT clothes. As I took off the jacket and slung it over my shoulders, I thought I heard something drop. Nothing was visible on the sidewalk around me, so I felt the big pockets of the jacket, hoping to feel the familiar shape of my wallet.

Ahhh.. I felt that familiar bulge right where I expecting it, in the right hand side pocket.

When I got back to shop, it was like a party. By then, all of the mechanics had read the well-wishes, prayers and comments scribbled across Rebecca's rump. Everyone wanted to know the story of the trip. We gathered around one of the computers on the Service Desk to help me map out the best route to Tecate, and beyond.

They even printed me a hand out of some interesting tourist sights in Ensenada. Plus they printed out my Mexican Moto Insurance papers for me.

After that great visit, it was time to head out to Kinko's to print some more paperwork, and have it laminated.

My plan was to create some colour copies of my Driver's License and other docs and laminate them against any future rough handling by bored policemen and under-paid boy soldiers at the military checkpoints I'm expecting to see along the way.

And, of course, my wallet was nowhere to be found.

That can really take the wind out of your sails…

No comments:

Post a Comment