SPOT Messenger Map

Monday, June 28, 2010

Why THIS trip...?

So, to properly start at the beginning, Goin' Toco is a motorcycle trip from Toronto, Canada to Toco, Trinidad. The trip's scheduled to begin in September or October 2010, and should last between 3 and 6 months.

Right now it looks as though I'll be traveling alone. I may get some company down in Central America, if Daunette can fly down for a down and ride with me through Belize or Costa Rica.

Other riders are more than welcome! :)

Most people ask me "why and I doing this?"

Several years ago I launched a small initiative to teach middle-school students how to build web sites. The Power Project was meant to be a traveling workshop, run in 100 schools from Toronto to Belize City.

Well the project had a successful pilot in Unionville, Ontario and received a lot of positive feedback and support from many folks. But then .... my attention shifted/fizzled/died and nothing's actually happened since 2007.

This current trip has grown out of that.

But can you spot the major difference? I've left the entire Teach-the-Children portion out of it!

Trust me, I'm struggling with that right now. Without any sort of altruistic project attached to my travels .... then what do I really have other than a self-indulgent journey?

Is there enough value in simply doing the trip --- for the sake of doing the trip?

Posted by Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment